Thursday, May 5, 2011

Presty the DJ for May 5

I'm unaware of whether the soundtrack of "West Side Story" got any radio airplay, but since I played it in both the La Follette and UW marching bands, I note that today in 1962 the soundtrack hit number one and stayed there for 54 weeks:



Happy birthday to drummer Bill Ward of Black Sabbath ...


... and Maggie MacNeal, half of Mouth & MacNeal, who asked ...

... and Sean McLuskey, singer for the one-hit-wonder Jo Boxers:


Today is the birthday as well of saxophonist Ace Cannon, whom like many instrumentalists you may not have heard of, but you've heard his work:

Having a small set of offerings today, here are two more famous versions (and quite different from each other) of a song noted earlier this week:

1 comment:

  1. I like Marvin Gaye but the Supremes version is better, I think. YAKETY SAX bring on Benny Hill...Loved him in the 70's, on PBS of all places.

    ReplyDelete